We know that it can be difficult to find an ocean rowboat or costly to buy onw which is why we’re releasing these plans and construction details so you can build your very own ocean rowboat. However, this boat does have a few drawbacks. It is unlikely to support your weight and there is a real restriction on storage space but the benefits of this design are that it floats, comes in any colour you choose and costs the same as a sheet of paper.
Now we’ve given the game away it might be obvious that that the boat design we’re talking about is to build your own origami version of an ocean rowboat.
1. To start you will need a normal sheet of paper. An A4 or letter sized sheet is the perfect size. Take one corner and take it across to the opposite side making an equilateral triangle. Make a fold and cut off the excess thin strip at the top. Keep this strip to make the cabins later.
2. Next fold the paper in half lengthways. Unfold and then fold the edges of the sheet in to meet along the line of the centrefold.
3. At one end fold, in the corners to meet in the middle along the centreline. Repeat this for the other end.
4. Fold the whole boat in half across the length of the boat. Then unfold and use this fold line as a marker and fold in the four points on the edges of the boat as far as you can. The ends of the folds from each end of the boat should meet along the halfway marker fold.
5. One last time, fold in the pointed sides of the boat to meet at the centreline.
6. Starting from the middle of the boat and working outwards towards the ends, turn the boat inside out.
7. For the cabins, take the thin strip that was left over from earlier in the process and create two smaller squares of paper using the same technique used earlier.
8.Fold one corner into the centre of the square.
9. Then fold the corners either side of the flap in to meet along the centreline.
10. Fold these side flaps in half to complete a cabin and feed these ends into the boat hull at one end to mount the cabin onto the boat.
Build another cabin for the other end and decorate with logos to complete your origami ocean rowboat.
Please send us your pictures of your completed origami ocean rowboats and we will add them to the gallery below.