Name of boat: Black Oyster
Number of crew: Built as a pair (two rowing positions). But it has completed a solo Atlantic crossing, and has also rowed with four crew members around GB and across the Pacific.
Material: Fibreglass hull and cabins with a plywood deck.
Design: Phil Morrison Low profile pairs, ocean rowing boat.
Year built: 2009
Built by: Jamie Fabrizio
Previous passages: 2 Atlantic crossings, 1 Pacific crossing and a circumnavigation of GB.
Atlantic 2009 – 67 days as a pair. Atlantic 2012 – 82 days as a solo. GB circumnavigation – New World Record 26 days as a four. Pacific – Great Pacific Race 2014 in 50 days as a four. The boat has never capsized other than during inversion testing.
Equipment included in sale:
- Trailer with 2″ tow hitch
- Kannad Safelink GPS 406 EPIRB
- Kannad Solo GPS PLB
- ICOM ICM71 portable vhf radio
- Handheld GPS
- Iridium Extreme Satellite Phone with wifi box, chargers and cables
- Ocean Safety 4 man liferaft, SOLAS B (fully serviced to 2017)
- Comar CSB200 AIS system
- 2 pairs of Xcell X3 ocean rowing oars, 310cm (one new pair)
- Schenker Smart 30 water maker (fully serviced, new filter, new pump, pickled and ready for use)
- Katadyn Survivor 35 manual water maker (serviced, pickled and ready for use).
- Para anchor w/ 80m of line
- Stern bridle
- 50m line
- Large and small drogue.
- 7kg anchor, chain and 10m of line
- 50m rope
- Around 300 Expedition spare freeze dried food packets (800cal each) bought in 2013.
- 2kg fire extinguisher and fire blanket
- Two 12volt marine batteries. (in perfect working order)
- Solar panels upgraded in 2014 to 203W (capacity for autohelm) with new MPPT charge controller
- Echomax Radar Target Enhancer (RTE)
- 4x Crew saver 150N life vests with harnesses and 4 West Marine safety tethers
- LED navigation light (new 2014)
- Tool kit
- Spares (gates, foot plates, etc) plus motor for Schenker water maker and 2x filters, electrical spares and fuses, epoxy repair kit
- 2 diving knives
- Over 300 Mountain House/Expedition Foods meals
- Non perishable Medical kit supplies
Any work required:
- One grab rail has cracked
- On deck speakers need replacing / cleaning
- Bilge pump needs replacing / cleaning
- Foot steering plate
- GPS repeater in rowing cockpit needs replacement (main GPS unit in perfect working order)
Stored at: Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex, UK